Dr. Kasu Prasad Reddy
- World Renowned & Eminent Laser-assisted Eye Surgery expert
- Rare distinction of being the first and the only Indian member of ACOS - American - European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery.
- First Indian to be designated Authorized Medical Examiner for Civil Aviation Authority from Gatwick Airport, London.
- Awarded by Star ICLs for accomplishing 2000 ICLS (permanent contact lens) for those not suitable for LASIK.
- With over 45,000 successful laser surgical procedures spread across 30 years of active practice to his credit, Dr. Kasu Prasad Reddy, Founder and Co-Chairman of Maxivision Eye Hospitals is the foremost laser-assisted eye surgery expert in the country. Dr. Reddy never intended to become an ophthalmologist as he was thrown in to it. Qualified from Guntur Medical College, Dr. Reddy accomplished his MS in General Surgery from Stanley Medical college. Having started out as a General surgeon, he left India for UK in 1978. After 4 years of Orthopedics and Accident & Emergency, followed by 1 year of Neurosurgery, in 1983 he eventually chose Ophthalmology as his specialty at Doncaster Royal Infirmary. Here he had two great mentors of Indian origin to guide him and he fell in love with the specialty.
He then went on to achieve DO from Dublin in 1985 and attained MRC (Ophtho) from London in the year 1986.
Residing in UK for 20 years, Dr. Reddy started the first Excimer Laser centre in UK called the 'Corneal Laser Centre' (now known as the 'Ultralase Centre' of UK) but not before he added Aviation Medicine along with a British Pilot License in 1990 to his repertoire. In 1991 he became the first Indian to be appointed as the Authorized Medical Examiner for Civil Aviation Authority from Gatwick Airport, London.
Dr. Reddy's typical work day at Maxivision Eye Hospital (Hyderabad branch) is best described as hectic. His starts working at 6 o'clock in the morning and finishes at 9 o'clock in the night, six days a week. Dr. Reddy has the distinction of conducting 4000 PRK(Photorefractive Keratectomy) during his time in the UK and was the first to introduce the LASIK (Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis) at St James's University Hospital, Leeds in1995.
As a result of Dr. Reddy's extraordinary efforts, Cataract surgery combined with VICTUS and STELLARIS i.e., the Micro Incisional Cataract Surgery (MICS, using the Stellaris machine) through a 1.8mm incision, using Premium IOLs, has become the ultimate 'Blade-free' surgery, making it literally hands-free as well.
It was 1996 when he started the trend. Having established nine centers in Hyderabad, three in Chennai, two in Kerala, one in Delhi. All the centers are well equipped to serve all areas of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Reddy believes that people in India are open to new technologies. According to him, conversion from Blade to Blade Free LASIK and the huge interest shown in the Laser Refractive Cataract Surgery are the best evidences.
The message he has for the upcoming ophthalmologists is to work hard and to constantly upgrade their professional and technical knowledge. More importantly, he believes that they should deliver ethical service, while monetary-gains will automatically follow.
A visionary of high repute with social responsibility being the core of his pursuit, Dr. Reddy thrives to maximize his vision through constant research & development and has been a pioneer in introducing technological advancements with the sole objective of benevolent service to human-kind. He was the first Indian to research and introduce Victus - 100% hands free cataract surgery technology, for which Technolas Germany received CE Mark and US FDA approval recently. This is a true testimony to his incredible vision and professional accomplishments.
The amazing journey of Dr. Reddy gives hope to young ophthalmologists. Having done different surgical specialties, Dr. Reddy calls himself "the Jack of all but master of none". He reserves special appreciation for the European and American Ophthalmologists like Dr. Kristian Hohla and his team from Germany for their great support and help. The story of Dr. Reddy, who started out as a small time Ophthalmologist but was able to shift gears to achieve certain goals, is an inspiration for all.
Dr Reddy believes in practicing what he preaches. He doesn't have cataracts but likes to be without glasses for professional and sporting purposes, therefore on 30th August 2014 he has his natural clear lens exchange with an artificial bifocal lens. This is called Laser Lens Exchange (LLE) conducted by world renowned Dr. STEVEN SLADE in Houston, Texas, USA. Now he has no glasses and says the operation is only for those who have difficulty with glasses.