Retinal Detachment is a condition in which the backside of the retina splits away from the eyeball’s intact layers. It happens due to extreme myopia, eye injuries and other reasons. To understand this, let us take a look at the retina.
What is the Retina?
The Retina is a screen in the innermost layer of the eyeball, onto which light is projected from the outside world through the lens called the cornea. It contains many nerves and blood vessels. Thus, the image produced on this retina is sent to the brain via the Optic Nerve, enabling us to see the outside world. Hence, the retina is very vital to your eyesight.
Symptoms of Retinal Detachment
The following symptoms have been observed in patients with retinal detachment:
- Presence of floaters.
- Fluctuating vision.
- Bright light flashes
- Loss of contrast sensitivity.
- Shadows across your visual field.
Guidelines to be followed post Retinal Detachment surgery
Following a retinal detachment surgery, you must follow certain instructions to ensure a speedy and healthy recovery of your eye and vision. They are as follows:
- Make sure that an adult escorts you back home. You should not be taking a bus or driving home alone.
- Avoid physically exerting activities for the first 48 hours post-surgery. Doctors recommend only mild activity after 48 hours too.
- You must wear protective eyewear post-surgery for a period advised by your doctor. This could be from one week to one or two months.
- Don’t take a bath for 24 hours post-surgery. But you may clean the area around your eyes with a clean tissue. Also, avoid swimming until your doctor gives you the go-ahead.
- Always keep your hands very clean due to the risk of infection being highest in the first-week post-surgery.
These guidelines are very important too
- You must use eye drops as prescribed by your doctor.
- Don’t drive until your doctor clears you to do so, ideally. But you may drive after 48 hours if your visual sight has improved.
- Eat light meals for 24 hours post-surgery to avoid the effects of anaesthesia. Also, strictly avoid alcohol.
- Also, take a few days off from work to follow the post-operative guidelines and avoid stress on the mind and body.
If you never knew what retinal detachment is, you would have got an idea about the issue, diagnosis and treatment by now. Else, this blog would benefit you with updated information on the same. While it is important to keep a check on the symptoms that cause retinal detachment, it is equally important to follow the post-operative guidelines for a safe and effective recovery.
If you have any questions or have any retinal detachment symptoms, please don’t hesitate to contact us immediately. Maxivision Eye Hospitals is one of the best eye hospital networks across India, with a 25+ year contribution to Indian society. Our highly skilled eye specialists along with our state-of-the-art technology, give us an edge in providing cutting-edge services.